Friday, August 01, 2008

Don't Want to Miss a Thing


I miss Lily so much every day. She is changing so fast, and all I can do all day long is think about how much I wish I were home playing with my silly little child. I sit and wonder what she is doing with her babysitter and think about how that should be me at home with her. We have been so blessed to have such wonderful, caring babysitters taking care of her, but even still it is always hard to be away. What's more, with baby #2 on the way soon, I knew it would be even harder for me to walk out the door in the morning...so I put in my notice at work on Monday! I am going to be a stay-at-home momma! About a month ago, Jeff and I starting talking very seriously about me quitting my job to be at home with our girls while they are little. While Jeff has always been very supportive of the idea, he has also been concerned, and rightly so, about how our finances would be affected. Since we moved into a bigger house in December, and because the cost of, well, everything is going up, he did some number crunching to calculate what we'd need to do to make it happen. Being a determined mom, I starting searching for the "perfect" part-time or work-from-home job that would allow me to make some extra cash and still be with my babies. Well, if you've not looked into it, let me tell you that it is a lot easier said than done. The great majority of part-time jobs don't pay enough to be worth it because, by the time you've paid for babysitting on the days you're at work, you're basically breaking even. But, as I said, I was determined not to give up. After talking to a lot of different people about my options, I came up with the idea to offer after school care for kids that need somewhere to go before their parents get off from work. We live right by a Catholic School, so I thought that this would be my perfect solution. Barb Selzer, a family friend, has been doing day care for kids from this same school for over 20 years and is getting ready to move to Champaign in a few weeks. I called her for advice/referrals, and she was more than kind and helpful. She gave me names of kids she thought might be interested, and she provided me with various strategies she has employed to "advertise" her child care service in the past. In a little over a week, I have lined up 3 girls and I am hoping to get 2 more. I could not have gotten this figured out without Barb's help and Jeff and my family's support! I am so thrilled, excited, happy, and shocked that this dream of mine is really coming true. I can't wait to be able to be with Lily and her little sister all day long.


P.S. if you know of any kids that might be in need of my service, please send them my way!

No comments: